Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Pick the Sharks replacement for Gary Glitter

Ok Sharks fans, here's your chance to actually make a difference (in theory, anyway; I suppose this survey could just be meaningless). The Sharks aren't fans of child molestors, so Gary Glitter and Rock & Roll Part 2 (the "Hey" song are out). What's in? It'll be one of:

Green Day: Holiday -- Um, how exactly is this a celebration song?
U2: Elevation -- (music snob rant #1) Don't even get me started on this piece o' crap. While it had some good Edge guitar work in it, I have NO idea how Bono can go from writing lines like "In my dreams I was drowning in sorrows/but my sorrows, they learned to swim" to the rhyming dictionary copout of "A mole/digging in a hole" that's worthy of butt rock.
Van Halen: Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love -- The Van Halen boys and DLR at their very best. I'm assuming they picked this for the "Hey Hey Hey" part.
Blur: Song 2 -- (music snob rant #2) Damon Albarn and co. are one of my favorite bands and I absolutely detest this song, which, for the record, was essentially an outtake of goofing around during the recording of their eponymous album. I know, I know, most American music fans only know Blur because of this song, but there are so many great songs and it's already overused as a sports anthem. Even though it would be mixing two of my favorite things (britpop/indie rock and hockey), I still can't support it.

Of course, I'm just a whiny music snob, so don't listen to me -- have your pick at the Sharks official site. If you haven't guessed, I voted for Van Halen.

5 comments:

Miss. Scarlett said...

I think "Holiday" is meant to be an ironic celebration song. It's got an upbeat enough tempo to it.

In any case Van Halen seemed the lesser of all evils. I can't stand U2 for the life of me and "Song 2" is going to be used no matter what you do.

Jordi said...

Bah they all suck - though I did heart Blur for a while. What about a Michael Jackson song?

Doogie2K said...

Holiday - I might have picked this, but their sample was way too repetitive. The least they could have done was include some of the guitar solo.

Van Halen - This is a bit more like it. You keep getting the "Hey Hey Hey", but it never sounds over-repetitive. My ultimate vote

Elevation - The fuck? This one didn't make any sense to me. Turned it off after about ten seconds.

Song 2 - So very overplayed. Like, "Stairway to Heaven" overplayed.

Robert L said...

"Right Now" by Van Halen, a hockey song if I ever heard one!

Anonymous said...

None of the above!