Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Monday, October 23, 2006

Stars, Sharks, and Ducks, Oh My!

Well, this is pretty much how it’s starting, three teams off to ridiculous starts, and two others to varying degrees falling behind.

Team

GPW-L-OPtsGFGAHomeRoad

DALLAS

9

8-1-0

16

3.22

1.67

3-0-0

5-1-0

SAN JOSE

9

7-2-0

14

3.56

2.22

4-1-0

3-1-0

ANAHEIM

8

6-0-2

14

3.00

2.13

4-0-2

2-0-0

LOS ANGELES

10

3-5-2

8

2.20

2.90

2-3-2

1-2-0

PHOENIX

9

2-7-0

4

2.00

4.22

1-3-0

1-4-0

There are only 5 combined games involving Dallas, San Jose, and Anaheim where these teams didn't come out with two points, and 2 of those 5 instances were when Anaheim hosted Dallas and when San Jose hosted Dallas.

I should note that Anaheim has enjoyed a very easy travel schedule thus far, having made but one trip to Phoenix and one trip to Los Angeles.

Speaking of which, yesterday the Kings got an early 2-0 lead on the visiting Ducks, breaking two early-season streaks. Up to that game, Anaheim had scored first in every game, and had yet to surrender a first period goal.

However, Anaheim's key streak was maintained: points. For the third time in three tries this season, Anaheim rallied from two goals down to force a shootout.

Except this time, Anaheim won it. Yee ha.

Next up, whiny Edmonton. Storied Edmonton. Cool, Calculated, Lusty, Narrative, Irreverent Edmonton.

This may be a team getting wins purely on the strength of its blogosphere.

(Bonus: The Ducks don’t even have to go anywhere; another game at Honda Center.)

(Double Bonus: This time Pronger won’t have to apologize for knocking Smyth’s teeth out.)

18 comments:

Alana said...

BRING IT, EARL!

ps: that doodle is beyond cute.

andy grabia said...

Whiny? Ouch.

Earl Sleek said...

C'mon Grabia, everyone needs a niche.

It's a good kind of whiny that we all can relate to.

Black Dog said...

Narrative?

Black Dog said...

Storytelling.

Uh yeah, its been said.

In a good (funny drunken anecdotal) and bad (rambling old man heard that drunken story before) way.

Better then whiny.

Not as good as lusty.

andy grabia said...

Better then whiny.

Oh cmoooon guuuuuuuuys.

It's a good kind of whiny that we all can relate to.

I actualy find that impression interesting. I don't think anyone's ever said that I'm whiny. Angry, irritable, grumpy, unhappy, impossible to please, asshole, yes. But never whiny.

Miss. Scarlett said...

I'm thinking "whiny" is a side effect of "impossible to please" anyways.

Just add a few more "squee!"s into your blog and you too can be lusty.

Adorable as always Sleek. I really hope someone wipes that smile off of the Stars soon though.

Earl Sleek said...

Oh, don't read too hard into the blog descriptors. I was drinking when I posted this one, and my vocabulary always takes a hit when that happens.

Still, they aren't way off.

andy grabia said...

I really appreciate how much you drink and post Earl. I can't stress that enough. I think me, you and Mike W really own that category. It's a lost art, social drinking, thanks to all these modern-day Puritans. I say, if it worked for Sinatra, it works for me.

Black Dog said...

Now Andy, you don't know me, well except that night of which we shall not speak when we, well never mind, but despite my advancing age (39 in two months) and family situation (I have one - cuts down on drinking time) I'd say I also belong in the drinking/posting group.

A story, if I may.

Ahh, screw it. Lets just say my local knows my kids by sight and the boy has been passed around the bar by a whack of loaded Irishmen.

Now excuse me while I go back to my bottle of wine.

Kids are in bed.

sacamano said...

Speaking of which. I've found my favourite local of the 19 pubs within a 5 minute walk of my new house.

No tv's, but fantastically uncomfortable chairs.

Black Dog said...

Where are you sacamano, in Sheffield?

Wife and I were in London three weeks ago. Sweet. And we went biking in the Cotswolds (highly recommended) - even the tiniest villages have multiple pubs.

I work with an English guy and his main complaint about Canada - the lack of good pubs.

I think we do alright but nobody beats the Brits.

Except the Irish.

sacamano said...

Yep, Sheffield.

And now that I've spent some time here, I'm inclined to agree with your English buddy.

I wasn't exaggerating with the number of pubs around my house. It is ridiculous. they range from 10 seaters to 60 seaters, and they all have different beers. It is crazy. Lovely, but crazy.

My favourite part is that my 7 month old daughter is allowed in with me.

andy grabia said...

I agree about the dearth of good pubs in Edmonton. The ones here are more lke night clubs masquerading as pubs. I've always wished there was a really good piano bar in Edmonton, as well. Something smoky and depressing. Oh wait, the Puritans have abolished the smoking, too.

I really want to have a place where everybody knows my name. And where they play Red Sox an Oilers games all day every day. I better stop. I'm starting to choke up.

Black Dog said...

Time to start a new blog.

Toronto has its share of terrific pubs - true pubs that would not be out of place overseas. My local is a hole in the wall which would fit about, well, maybe 40, if everyone was cheek to jowl.

Run by twin sisters from Ireland, Maeve and Sinead. When they're not behind the bar they're sitting at it.

And I've had both kids there but the boy is a special favourite - he was also about seven months when he made his debut.

Last fall I was in England for work and spent the weekend in York. Just myself with nothing to do. I spent the entire 48 hours wandering about and I hit pretty well every pub in town.

And you can still smoke there too! I've quit three years now but my wife and I both puffed for old times' sake this year.

Nothing like a pint and a smoke.

Thank you, I think I will.

Earl Sleek said...

Dammit! Nothing that cool in L.A., the trendy bars suck, and most of the others become dives, but there's sure some scummy characters in this SoCal experiment I live in.

I'd go to Toronto for a pint and a smoke. Call me when the weather clears.

Black Dog said...

Ok, Earl.

You realize that will be May, right?

Earl Sleek said...

May is cool. I have more patience than I do tolerance for the bitter cold of non-California.

I'm like Lauren Pronger like that, though her patience is debatable.