Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

OMG, this game is played by human beings?!

As a general rule, there are few things blander than your typical NHL player interview. I think everyone means well, but somehow the objective isn't about hearing about an individual perspective or personality anymore. For whatever reason (sensitivity, fear, team unity), most player interviews just turn into prompted clichés:

"Stick to the system, give a full sixty minutes, cut down on the mistakes, sure I like my linemates, blah blah blah."

So coming from that perspective, I gotta say that I was impressed to see that my favorite Swedish blogger, Ingmar Bergman, scored some chat time with an anonymous NHLer. And you know what? This interview is AWESOME.

The names are fake, but that probably allows the content (translated from Swedish) to remain so true. Ingmar, dude, you really kicked ass in this interview. Everyone, go read it!


Part I
Part II
Part III

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Julian said...

What a fantastic interview!

dbushik said...

So, clearly Marcus Naslund? What other Swede is out there in the NHL that fits what we get from the interview? Not at all trying to make him sound arrogent or self absorbed, but we hear that he sees himself as having public/media clout, he makes a significant salary (likely millions instead of 100K's), he thinks hes seen as being good looking (puck bunnies want his bod), he sees himself as famous or a star. Sure sounds like Naslund.

Earl Sleek said...

Actually, I'm guessing it's not Marcus Naslund, only because one of his first questions was about Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore.

I doubt that comes up in interviews with Nazzy. But honestly, I haven't given it too much thought; I think you are right, though, about him making millions.

dbushik said...

Well, one thing another hockey fan I know just pointed out to me based on his experience growing up in Sweden, was that the Transformers got to Sweden when he was in his early 20's, and Naslund is just a few years younger than him. So, if he grew up with the Transformers, he is likely younger than Naslund by five to ten years. Not sure who that points to yet...