Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Monday, May 28, 2007

Ducks Gameday—Sens Logo: Separated at Birth?

Round Four, Game One: (4) Ottawa Senators at (2) Anaheim Ducks
(JavaGeek 'odds': ANA 52%)

So, I've been running this feature for all opponents these playoffs, and it seems to be working well enough to continue once more. Just like the Minnesota Wild, the Vancouver Canucks, and the Detroit Red Wings before them, I've found three candidates to be 'separated at birth' with the Senator logo. Vote for the best match in the comments, or offer your own suggestions, if you wish.



As for the game, well, I don't know what to say any more. There's enough professional sportswriters covering this series now that I don't have very much original to add at this point.

Really, the only key is winning early. Ottawa's never trailed yet in a series, and in these playoffs the first team to face elimination in each series has lost each series. Taking advantage of early home ice will be key--whether the wins come pretty or ugly, the main thing is they really gotta come early.

At any rate, I'll be at this game, not visible to the TV cameras, but in Section 201, Row N, green t-shirt. Feel free to stop by, buy me a beer, or just congratulate me for not selling my tickets for something in the four-digit range.

Prediction: Ducks 4, Senators 2. Goals by Penner, Pronger, Pahlsson, and (pending a better nickname) Miller Lite.

p.s. I know a lot has been made about this being another case of a U.S.-team vs. Canadian-team SCF, but in the last 13 months or so Anaheim has now played playoff series against four different Canadian franchises--is that some sort of record?

Go Ducks.

7 comments:

PPP said...

We call them the condoms at the BoO because of their logo's resemblance to the Trojan logo.

Ben said...

I'd say the condoms, because the sens are going to score throughout the evening.

...puns...booyah

Doogie2K said...

The Kings have you beat. They took on four Canadian teams in as many rounds in 1993, beating Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto, before falling to Montreal. That was during the halcyon days when there were actually eight Canadian teams in a 24-team League.

RudyKelly said...

Wow, the Senator's face is really detailed... it kind of creeps me out.

Sean Zandberg said...

Given the Ottawa has dominated everyone, it will be crucial for the Ducks to win Game 1 and establish something. I can't wait for this series to start!

Sean Zandberg said...

The way the Ducks are taking so many penalties, they had better be PK wizards!
Should be a great finish!

Anonymous said...

Sleek, thanks for your blog, I've found it endlessly entertaining.

I'm going to come hassle you one of these days....

I've noticed a disturbing trend in your goal predictions....you invariably pick the guys who's last name starts with "P". Can't really fault you for it (yea, I love Sami too) but it is indeed funny!

have fun. go ducks!