Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trade Possibilities to Keep the Anaheim Ducks Under the Salary Cap

It is already official that the Ducks will have to trade someone this offseason if veteran defenseman Scott Niedermayer and forward Teemu Selanne decide to come back to the team after contemplating retirement.

Although the jury is still out, the rumored players to be on the chopping block are:

Todd Bertuzzi – a power forward that did not live up to expectations after his first year in Anaheim. He is currently expected to make $4 million this up-coming season which at 32 and production down makes him an easy trade for Anaheim to a team looking for help. He could draw interest from teams such as Florida, Columbus and who knows where else.

Ken’s take: I was really disappointed with Bertuzzi, he had a hard adjustment to Orange County, but I don’t think he will be Burke’s first option to trade. I look for him to remain in Anaheim.

Todd Marchant – a grinding forward making $2.66 million in 08/09. He was a huge help to the Ducks in winning the Stanley Cup, but is not a huge producer, even for a 33 year old. Not as notable a trade target as Bertuzzi but still would be good for a team.

Ken’s take: Marchant is the third most likely in this list to be traded. He is a good player and doesn’t make much of a dip into the cap. His age is a slight issue, but nothing too serious

Mathieu Schneider – a great offensive defenseman, and was brought in last season to replace Scott Niedermayer during his retirement phase, instead when Niedermayer returned Schneider added great depth on the blue line. His offensive talent saw him light the lamp often in one of final regular season game against the Kings. At 38, Schneider is the oldest player on the Ducks team, and will be collecting $5.75 million in 08/09. Schneider seems likely to be the player the Ducks most want to get rid of. The $5.75million would be nice to have back in the bank.

Ken’s take: If Schneider is the one subtracted from the team, the Ducks could trade for a defenseman worth half as much, and spend the remaining money on Teemu Selanne, and signing another forward or defenseman. The Ducks know they need to improve some small issues over last season such as goal scoring, and with that $5.75 million back, it seems best. Schneider’s age has me wondering why he isn’t one contemplating retirement, as he is older than Niedermayer (33) and Selanne (37).

All three of these players would be good choices, and Brian Burke will certainly get the best deal possible for his team. Before any decisions are made though the Ducks need to know the return status of Teemu and Scott, which is the only way the trade will truly matter.

For example: If both leave the team, then Burke only needs to worry about obtaining enough money for Corey Perry and getting that money should be fairly easily done with a small trade.

Source: Salary figures came from nhlnumber.com

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Schneider isn't contemplating retirement because he is in great shape (minus the broken bone; and age really only effects your bones when you are 70+ or a post-menopausal female). And he has the same workout routine and drive to play as his workout buddy Chris Chelios. And he is still contributing as well as any top D in the league. (ranked 12th among D for goals last season, even though he only played 65 games)

He may be older than Niedermayer in years, but, at this point, he has more hockey heart. He wants to play until at least the next Olympics, whereas Niedermayer isn't sure if he wants to play next week.

Plus, he won the Stanley Cup in his sophomore season and wants to win it again. After watching the Ducks last season, they could use more of that drive, not less.

Mike in OC said...

Of these I think Marchant & Tuzzie makes the most sense followed by Schneider.

The problem with the first two are: I believe Marchant has a NTC, and Tuzzie will be tough to move because his rep & salary vs. his production.

That leaves Schneider.

Alexander Dubcek said...

Nice post, Ken. Though I think an important reason Bertuzzi might stay in Anaheim is I'm not sure how many teams would want to take him on. Even though he only has one year left, it's a big risk at $4 million for someone who seems like a shadow of his former self since the Moore incident. But, I agree that Burke probably wants to keep him around since he's one of the guys who has history with Burke.

I'm also not sure if the Ducks could get a lot of defenseman in return for Schneider. They might be able to get a much cheaper defenseman, but I doubt it'd be of tremendous quality -- Burke would probably have to take a flyer on a guy who's a project or someone Carlyle could coax a career year out of. But I think Schneider might be an attractive trade option for a lot of teams, since his contract isn't that outrageous (especially if Brian Campbell ends up with a deal worth $6-8 million a year for five years or more, as some have speculated). It's only a one year commitment, and $5.75 million for one of the better offensive defensemen in the league isn't bad in this day and age.

Ken said...

Let me add It will break my heart to see Schneider go, he was a favorite D man of mine when he was in LA, and seeing him light the lamp like he did some nights makes me (to sarah) prefer him over Scott. If Scott leaves we MUST keep Schneider. I dont care for Big Burt, he was a huge bust this year and I agree not many teams would like him. But regardless of who i like the numbers if both Teemu and Scott come back point at Schneider. Thats a lot of money the Ducks wont have for a 38 year old.

Earl Sleek said...

Yeah, I think the answer is Schneider no matter how you slice it.

Serious money? Check.
Valued commodity? Check.
Lack of legal issues? Check.
Hands made of a substance besides stone? Check.

Marchant's been too loyal (and his money isn't that rough), and Bertuzzi's been too useless. It might be nice to dump Bert, but I don't see a long line of buyers.

I'm also not sure if the Ducks could get a lot of defenseman in return for Schneider.

I don't think they should go for a serious trade, really. It's a salary dump, and there's no real need for a replacement (his name is Scott). Also, I bet Dipenta could be had for league minimum.

Sarah said...

I'm biased, since obviously, I'm a Mathieu fan. But right now, Niedermayer, in my opinion, is rated slightly lower than the crap I stepped in this morning (possibly possum poop?). I used to LOVE Niedermayer, but this prima donna crap has killed his rep. (And I'm hard to earn back; I'm still disappointed in Lidstrom's "pay me lots or I'm going back to Sweden" tantrum years ago) I don't care how good you are, if you put yourself above the team, you're done. And by this "do-I-retire-or-not" business, Niedermayer has hurt the team for going on two seasons.

If I was a GM, I'd buy out Bertuzzi (he was a failed experiment; it happens), move on without even thinking about Selanne (he's a UFA and I've got a kid to sign), and tell Niedermayer put up, shut up, or get bought out and have all year to decide what to do.

Then again, if I was a GM, I'd be fired in a week. But not before signing Patrice Brisebois because I had a killer crush on him in high school.

Earl Sleek said...

I don't care how good you are, if you put yourself above the team, you're done. And by this "do-I-retire-or-not" business, Niedermayer has hurt the team for going on two seasons.

I guess, Sarah, but I can think of instances where clearly Scott put the team above other things (surgery, country, and health), so I guess I have to go off more than just one headline. I'm still not pissed at Scott (and frankly, I think his nonsense last year somewhat helped the team, though the results weren't there because of Perry's injury/Pronger's suspension).

I dunno, of all the people to get pissed at in a Ducks uniform, Scott's way low on my list.

If I was a GM, I'd buy out Bertuzzi (he was a failed experiment; it happens), move on without even thinking about Selanne (he's a UFA and I've got a kid to sign), and tell Niedermayer put up, shut up, or get bought out and have all year to decide what to do.

Anaheim's not really a team that can afford buyouts (especially not on the last year of a contract -- just eat that year and be done with it). And I think I'd kill a GM who wouldn't consider a spot for Teemu, who's not just a fan favorite but has also made a habit of signing extremely cheap for Anaheim.

If Niedermayer doesn't play, there's no need for a buyout. He can get suspended again and there's no cap (or even salary) issues there.

Then again, if I was a GM, I'd be fired in a week.

You're already off my list of potential Burke replacements :)

Sarah said...

Well, full disclosure is needed. Not only am I am Mathieu fan, but I'm a Sharks fan. So I haven't followed the ins and outs of what is happening in Anaheim. Obviously, you all know what can and can't happen in terms of buy outs and the like.

But while I'm making silly, off the cuff proposals of which I know nothing of the actual viability... can SJ have Schneider? You can have Patrick Marleau.

And it's Patrice Brisebois that got me off your short list, isn't it? =)

Anonymous said...

Burke said at one of the select-a-seat sessions that he is probably going to talk to Scott by Thursday. If Scott decides to play out contract, I think Schneider will be the one to go. Both Schneider and Bertuzzi would be salary dumps, but Schneider will probably be easier to trade. And I'm not so sure Burke is so willing to trade Bertuzzi. Marchant may be overpaid, but he did a very good job of being a "swiss army knife" type of guy for Burke and Marchant also has a no trade clause.

There's very little chance of the Ducks buying out Scott; the Ducks would have to keep part (2/3?) of his salary on the books for two years, which wouldn't help in re-signing Perry.

Ken said...

I think Bert deserves one more chance in Anaheim, if he doesnt produce, dump him, buy him out, or find a trade suitor.

Earl Sleek said...

can SJ have Schneider? You can have Patrick Marleau.

Well, that would be one of the worst salary dumps in history, wouldn't it? Yes to the first, no to the second.

Marchant may be overpaid, but he did a very good job of being a "swiss army knife" type of guy for Burke and Marchant also has a no trade clause.

And here's the thing: I don't even think Marchant is overpaid for the market anymore. Try to sign a UFA version of Marchant, and I think you get to that salary number.

I think Bert deserves one more chance in Anaheim, if he doesnt produce, dump him, buy him out, or find a trade suitor.

Well, whether he deserves it or not is irrelevant. He'll get one because none of those options are real possibilities. Basically, they can play him or bench him. Just like with Scott, a buy-out makes little sense, unless you want to pay Bertuzzi in future years also.

Besides, buyouts are traditionally summertime activities. I don't think you give Bert a chance AND buy him out. It's typically one or the other.

Earl Sleek said...

p.s. I'm in Atlanta the rest of this week for business, so I may be commenting at awfully odd hours.

Mike in OC said...

it's official now, Scott is returning according to TSN.

Anonymous said...

Boy was I wrong about Burke's willingness to get Bertuzzi off the roster. I didn't think he would be traded (loyalty and all that), let alone waived.

Mike in OC said...

I guess they are serious about wanting the payroll no higher than 50 million.

Just when we start contending too.