Takes and trash talk from both ALL sides of the NHL's most obscure PATHETIC* rivalry

* Thanks, Kevin Lowe!

Saturday, August 02, 2008

A Bit of Tid

Here's an NHL.com article about Terry Murray, the new Kings coach. It's worth checking out the article just to see the picture that accompanies it.

***
Here's a few recent contracts and how they compare to Patrick O'Sullivan:

Andrei Kostitsyn: 3 years, $3.25 million/year

Valtteri Filpula: 5 years, $3 million/year

Joffrey Lupul: 4 years, $4.25 million/year

Corey Perry: 5 years, $5.35 million/year

Pierre-Marc Bouchard: 5 years, $4.08

Kostitsyn looks like the best comparable and I'd be fine with a contract like that.

***
Finally, if you're bored I highly recommend this blog that goes through every Goosebumps book and makes fun of them. A sample:

Left alone, Evan decides to buy himself an ice cream treat at the local market. He leaves Trigger tied up outside. When he returns with his ice cream sandwich, Ricky and Tony are stealing his dog. Evan whines about how they probably shouldn't and one of them knocks the ice cream sandwich out of his hand. The reader probably shouldn't be applauding this action, but I know I was. Trigger gets angry and once let loose, chases after the twins. Evan becomes terrified as he remembers how this happened in his dream-- except for that it didn't happen at all like that in his dream. Evan worries that he might turn into a monster. I hate this kid so much.

I don't care what this guy says, Say Cheese and Die! scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Self-Important Update:

The Sporting News Today has an interview with Dean Lombardi wherein he dismissed the Kopitar rumors and states that the Kings are trying to sign Anze Kopitar and Jack Johnson to long-term deals, ideally before the start of this season. I'd just like to point out that I guessed this a few weeks ago. I'm actually kind of impressed with myself. I haven't felt this proud since the time I whacked off 5 times in one day.*

*Sound effect for the 5th time: poof!

8 comments:

Joe said...

XMFD

How old are you Rudy? I remember reading the goosebumps books when I was in elementary school, 3-5th grade. I had the first 50 of the original series, a couple editions of the short stories, and like 10 of those "give yourself GOOSEBUMPS" which were those Choose Your Own Adventure stories.

ALLLLL the cool kids got the new goosebumps book as soon as it was out. My grandmother expressed misgivings to my mom about my reading such things, but my mom is an avid reader, and did whatever she could to make sure I was too. Shit, I think they might all still be sitting back in my mom's basement in a box too, unless they got destroyed in one of the floods. Wonder if those sell for anything...

RudyKelly said...

I know it's surprising (because I am so erudite and philosophical), but I'm 23.

You know what book series I read a lot as a kid? The Clue! books. Was I the only dork in the world that read those?

jamestobrien said...

Goose Bumps were a big part of my childhood too (I'm 24). For some reason, though, I only remember that I was really jazzed about the pick your own adventure ones.

And I vaguely recall the live action series...but I just remember some sort of evil mannequin episode.

Really the only thing I vividly remember is playing roller hockey in my quite possibly asbestos-filled basement. Ah, simpler more cancerous times...

Earl Sleek said...

Hey, just a general question for Kings fans (at least the ones who like to answer random questions in BoC comments):

I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel, but is it in any way sacriligious that Manny Fernandez, upon getting traded to the Dodgers, immediately starts wearing #99?

I mean, I know it's retired across hockey (and not baseball), but is there any sort of unwritten rule that #99 in SoCal is a no-no for any famous athlete?

Just curious how Kings fans feel (and maybe how I'm supposed to feel) about it.

RudyKelly said...

I think so, especially because Manny Fernandez plays hockey and shouldn't be on a baseball field. I don't have a problem with Manny Ramirez doing it because it was only for this weekend and he's going to switch to #30 pretty soon. I think it was a cool homage to Wayne, personally.

(By the way, it's awesome that there's a place online where someone will confuse one of the biggest baseball players on the planet with the backup goaltender for the Boston Bruins. That's awesome.)

Earl Sleek said...

Oh yeah, Ramirez. That's the problem with first-name basis celebrity athletes.

Whoops. And I don't even have a growing-up-in-a-basement-full-of-asbestos excuse.

Doogie2K said...

Am I the only child of the '90s that didn't read Goosebumps and Fear Street? Also, what is R.L. Stine up to these days, I wonder?

Joe said...

"Am I the only child of the '90s that didn't read Goosebumps and Fear Street? Also, what is R.L. Stine up to these days, I wonder?"

Yes, yes you are. Go hide in a corner and hang your head in shame, while we pontificate on such fine literature as Goosebumps and Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher.

I'm a little younger than you guys, 21, but probably only 2 years behind in terms of graduating class (skipped a grade), so I remember reading Goosebumps in like 2nd grade through 4th or so. And up top to James on playing roller hockey in the basement!